Welcome to the www.capitan-alatriste.com site

All the important forum news in English (other languages are welcome)

Moderadores: Targul, Mithrand, Moderadores

Reglas del Foro
quemeplace

Mensaje por quemeplace » Mar Mar 01, 2005 11:04 am

I bet the connection with Loriga, Yanes and Viggo are correct

I think so, Philipa. I got this information from El país. You can read the article on Reverte's web site:
http://www.capitanalatriste.com/escrito ... anaventura
It is in Spanish, but here is the important part in (bad) English:

Interviewer:How did you manage to convince such an international star like VM, who had just worked in the succesful LOTR, to play the lead in the film?

Díaz Yanes:It was very easy. I didn't know Viggo, but Ray Loriga is a good friend of him, and he [Loriga] is a close friend of mine. I thought in Viggo because this is a very high-budget film and he fulfilled two basic things: he looked like Alatriste and he was a Spanish speaking star, for something was clear to me: I'd had never made this film in English. So Viggo fulfilled all requirements. Ray Loriga passed him the script and it happened that Viggo had watched my two films and we went to Berlin and met him. He liked the script a lot and said yes at once.

What I'd really like to know is what connected Viggo to Spain and how he was casted for his first Spanish film (Gimlet, I guess)?

And about Clair's question:
What do you think about the guy playing Malatesta?

I would rather have Jean Reno playing Malatesta. He was also considered, and I think he would be perfect for that character.

Philipa

Mensaje por Philipa » Mar Mar 01, 2005 2:57 pm

Thank you quemeplace for the translation of that very interesting little tid bit regarding Viggo.

You do raise an interesting question regarding Viggo in Spain. I'll post around to see if anyone out there knows the answer. :D

airearan

Mensaje por airearan » Mié Mar 02, 2005 1:03 pm

may i ask, how are the hardcore alatriste fans reacting to the choice of viggo as alatriste?

and how do they like his accent so far? Imagen

i seem to remember that years ago when he was announced as strider, there was quite some hair-pulling and expletives thrown about - which later turned to praise, of course 8)

Tripwire

Mensaje por Tripwire » Mié Mar 02, 2005 4:58 pm

Hello everyone

I am happy to be here and am very glad that the forum was opened up to English speakers. Nice to see famiiar people on this board.

uraeus

Mensaje por uraeus » Mié Mar 02, 2005 5:16 pm

Hi everybody,

after a few problemas I have got in to join you all. I'm german and it is exciting for me that Viggo is now working in Europe. Things are getting closer! :D

Muchas gracias for this opportunity to have an english section in this forum, maybe I will finally improve my spanish after all.

RivRes

Mensaje por RivRes » Mié Mar 02, 2005 5:39 pm

From everything that I am reading here, it appears that the role of Aragorn is what won Viggo the role of Alatriste. Something that Yanes and Reverte saw in Aragorn (besides those looks :wink: ) convinced them that Viggo was their man, although the characters are VERY different. Maybe it was this. :D

Imagen

It truly sounds like it is a case of Viggo saying 'yes' and Y&R didn't have to look any further.

How lucky is that?

angela

Mensaje por angela » Jue Mar 03, 2005 8:09 pm

Roll your sleeves up guys, it's going to be a great Spring. There is a definite feel of tORN. here .

The whole idea of bringing yet another well-loved character to life is getting to be Viggo's trademark. That and getting involved in contoversial political allegory.

But now I have to think in another language so my brain thanks you all for the double workout!

lae

Mensaje por lae » Jue Mar 03, 2005 9:02 pm

Whew! I finally made it in. I was having problems receiving the confirmation email. So I had to use another email and it worked. Now I can finally join in on the Alatriste fun. :D

I think Viggo is going to totally own this roll and I hope everyone in Spain will come to love him as Alatriste. I don't think he will let you down...he seeks the truth and he will study hard and do the best job he can.

I'm getting more and more excited to see this movie, but I doubt it will be shown in my small theatre. I may have to do some travelling to see it. :wink:

angela

Mensaje por angela » Vie Mar 04, 2005 6:26 pm

How will anyone reading these books or seeing the movie fail to fall in love with El Capitan?
Thanks to Dr. Qs translation I see he has a still fresh and painful wound in his side that keeps him walking the floor in his room while Inigo tries to sleep... reminds me of the Fisher King character in the King Arthur saga.

Could this get any better?

IndianMoon16

Mensaje por IndianMoon16 » Sab Mar 05, 2005 9:09 pm

Hola,

Finally managed to sign up, took me three days and a new Email address, but I think it's worth it! Thanx for putting up an English part of this forum, will do my best to keep up with the Spanish part, but only had Spanish lessons for some months, heehee.... :roll:

cath

Mensaje por cath » Dom Mar 06, 2005 12:49 am

Hi! (and hi Indianmoon, glad you made it!)

Thank you for the English thread and translations - I try to read the reports in Spanish and then read them in English to fill in the gaps I didn't understand! This is a very educational place.

I have read that this film has the biggest budget of any Spanish language film. How important is it to the Spanish film industry - was the press conference widely reported? (or just to us viggo-fans?!?!?) The books seem to have become very popular in Spain very quickly,

quemeplace

Mensaje por quemeplace » Dom Mar 06, 2005 10:53 am

Hi Cath!
How important is it to the Spanish film industry - was the press conference widely reported? (or just to us viggo-fans?!?!?) The books seem to have become very popular in Spain very quickly

The books were already very popular in Spain and, just for that reason, the adaptation of those novels into a film represents a challenge to the film makers. Many people have read the books and they have already a personal idea about how Alatriste and the rest of the characters should be. Many are also exceptic about resuming all novels into just one film.

On the other hand, this is the most high-budget Spanish film ever, and that's a responsibility for the film makers. IMO, the result could have some influence in the whole Spanish film industry.

Besides, and not less important, we have to consider that this will be a kind of historical film. Alatriste and some other characters are fictional, but other are real (King, Queen, Olivares, Quevedo, etc.) and the crucial Spanish time who was described in the books, the Spanish Golden Age, was real (and how real!) and have to be presented in the most realistic way (as in the books).

So this project is not an easy enterprise.

I think Viggo knows it very well, and the whole thing is also a challenge for him: he has to play a very beloved character who is an Spaniard and was created to tell a part of the Spanish History. It is known that he prepares himself a lot for every film he works in, but I think this time he's working especially hard.

Mirabella6666

Mensaje por Mirabella6666 » Dom Mar 20, 2005 10:55 pm

:) Hola!
I made it. I've been trying to read things on this website but my Spanish is minimal, though I AM learning a lot. I really appreciate your having an English forum so that we can discuss the movies and books too.
Muchas Gracias.

m4sure
Contactar:

Mensaje por m4sure » Sab Mar 26, 2005 2:48 am

Hola!
I am glad that I was able to find my way here!
Looking forward to hearing all the news.

(((Gracias mucho))) :wink:

RivRes

Mensaje por RivRes » Mar Mar 29, 2005 9:04 pm

I am not sure where to ask this, but can anyone tell me where in Spain you can buy a copy of the " IN SPAIN " newspaper? I have a friend visiting in Spain during the month of April and they are looking for the places to buy it.

cheyenneangel
Contactar:

Mensaje por cheyenneangel » Sab Jun 03, 2006 12:40 pm

Thank you for this English forum.
So it is a big help for us to read this interesting thinhs in English language.
I'm french ! :lol:

luthien66

Mensaje por luthien66 » Sab Jun 03, 2006 1:59 pm

welcome cheyenneangel!! :D
I have seen your Web, you are an artist, I hope to see you by the forum :wink:

ahora en francés jijiji
bienvenu Cheyenneangel
:D :D j'ai vu ta page web, tu es un artiste, j'espère voir par le forum
(o algo asi parece que 4 años de francés dan para mucho pero no, **** LOGSE!!!)

cheyenneangel
Contactar:

Mensaje por cheyenneangel » Dom Jun 04, 2006 11:29 pm

Thank you very Much Luthien66 :D

LadyArwen
Contactar:

Mensaje por LadyArwen » Dom Feb 25, 2007 11:58 am

Hi!
I'm from Italy I like Viggo Mortensen , I'm co-admin with a member of this forum, romarie, in a Viggo forum, El Alma de Viggo
I joined this forum some time ago, sorry for not having introduced myself before :(

I don't speak spanish but I undestand something if I read it, sorry for you my english isn't better than my spanish :lol:
I apologize

AlatristeFan

Mensaje por AlatristeFan » Dom Feb 25, 2007 10:23 pm

Hi,

Sorry that I did not introduce myself before ....I am AlatristeFan and I live in Canada. I like Viggo Mortensen and Alatriste very much.

I just want to say that, although my Spanish is not so good, I really enjoy this site very much and it is very nice that you have added this English part of the forum... :D

Responder