opinions about the books

All the important forum news in English (other languages are welcome)

Moderadores: Targul, Mithrand, Moderadores

Reglas del Foro
quemeplace

Mensaje por quemeplace » Sab Abr 09, 2005 6:04 pm

Hey IndianMoon, you got the look! The eyes are wonderful. Great job!

By the way, why don't you make a copy and put Alatriste's hat and costume on Viggo? :wink:

IndianMoon16

Mensaje por IndianMoon16 » Sab Abr 09, 2005 11:22 pm

Hey Doctor Q!

It already occurred to me that they used some words which are hardly to define, heehee.... But it is quite a challenge to me to give it a try and like I said, your translation is of huge help! My teacher looked at me as if I had gone crazy, just starting Spanish and trying to read a book like this, but on the other hand he promised that if I finished the book in reasonable time and even understood what it is all about, I might skip the second year and go to the third year next season! So now I'm even more determind to read the book!

About the drawing, I got inspired by Viggo about 16 months ago, to start to be creative, at first it was hard, but with the help of some ppl around the internet I found out how to draw portraits and I must say that I just love doing it! Let's say I'm an self-taught-woman. Made lots of portraits of Viggo, I am quite inspired by the look on his face and the way he can change himself every time, over and over again!
I also had the idea to try and make a "whole Alatriste", once I know what his costume will look like. I might use the same face.... Will keep you posted than, okay?!

Thanx for the compliments anyway! Imagen

doctor-Q

Mensaje por doctor-Q » Lun Abr 11, 2005 11:40 am

-
Última edición por doctor-Q el Dom May 01, 2005 8:57 pm, editado 1 vez en total.

zamarriego

Please, this hat is "horribilis"

Mensaje por zamarriego » Jue Abr 14, 2005 4:54 pm

I´m sorry, my not speak in english.

Por favor, que algún ánima caritativa anglo-escribiente informe a IndianMoon16 (que por otra parte dibuja de maravilla) que, el emoticono con el sombrero ese con colgantes de "cortina" ....
8O 8O 8O Imagen :cry: :cry: :cry: es más propio de taxista hortera de peli de Almodovar o de mexicano macarra de "Perdita Durango" que de...
]Imagen "señor soldado de los tercios viejos".

doctor-Q, insuperable, thanks for your job.

Saludos.

Zamarriego
"El fiero turco en Lepanto
en la Tercera el francés
y en todo mar el inglés
tuvieron de verme espanto".

"Rey servido y patria honrada..."

doctor-Q

Mensaje por doctor-Q » Sab Abr 16, 2005 11:56 am

-
Última edición por doctor-Q el Dom May 01, 2005 8:58 pm, editado 1 vez en total.

RivRes

Mensaje por RivRes » Sab Abr 16, 2005 2:42 pm

doctor-Q escribió:Hi, everybody

I have heard that the first book of Alatriste will be released in English in two or three weeks. Therefore, I do not know if continuing the translation is a good idea (besides, you all will have the chance to read it translated by a professional... which I am not :wink: ).

Thus I am considering that I could translate other book, for they all will be part of the film. I have heard that the second book will be almost not included in the screenplay, so maybe I could start with the third one.

What do you think?

Greetings,

doctorQ

YES!!! Please start the next book. Our readers (and me too :D ) at Viggo-Works would be absolutely delighted if you did!!

Muchas gracias mi amiga!!

Riv Res
http://www.viggo-works.com

uraeus

Mensaje por uraeus » Sab Abr 16, 2005 7:34 pm

Hi Doctor Q,

Do you really want to stop at this point where it starts to get really exciting ???
:?

But some other book is fine too :wink:

All your efforts so far are already absolutely wonderful. And don't worry about the non-professional. It doesn't matter at all!

uraeus

Mensaje por uraeus » Sab Abr 16, 2005 7:40 pm

Hi RivRes,

Viggo-Works is an absolutely great website. It is the best one about Viggo that I know of!
Thanks a lot for your amazing work!

(sorry for being o.t., this just wanted to be said!)

Nefer

Mensaje por Nefer » Lun Abr 18, 2005 10:45 am

Dear doctor-Q!

Thanks for your good translations! :D
Whatever you like to translate, it's fine with me. If you want to stop translating the first novel, it's okay. Though you would have done it again: it's a classic cliff-hanger... :wink:

If you have time enough (and are not fed up with translating), I would go along with RivRes' wish. I don't know when the second novel will be translated into English?
You could also translate some choice parts (kostproben) of the other books, scenes you like most. Thank you in advance!

Sinceramente, Nefer

doctor-Q

Mensaje por doctor-Q » Lun Abr 18, 2005 12:10 pm

-
Última edición por doctor-Q el Dom May 01, 2005 8:52 pm, editado 1 vez en total.

bradamante
Contactar:

Mensaje por bradamante » Lun Abr 18, 2005 3:38 pm

Thanks as always to Doctor-Q for the translations! I know what hard work they are.
Doctor-Q also wrote:

>The second book: PURITY OF BLOOD is a really interesting story which reflects the
>problems that had the families with some non-Christian ancestors (Jews in this case) during >that time. The plot includes the liberation of a girl from a convent, problems (really big
>problems) with the Sacred Inquisition, lots of fencing… etc.
>Unfortunately it looks like the original screenplay of the movie does not include much of
>this book – because it is not that easy to adapt it to a single guideline plot.

I think it's really a shame they couldn't fit some of it in. This is my favorite book of the series. One of the biggest surprises I'd had, reading them, is how much I enjoyed the parts that let you inside Íñigo's head, what he's thinking, how his opinions have changed with experience. (small SPOILER warning)

This is a book where Íñigo has a lot of time to reflect, since dungeons are a good place to do that! I like the part about "people who read only one book" (gente de un solo libro) especially. And the scene at the end (maybe this is a spoiler?) when Íñigo is pretending to be asleep, and Caridad is sewing, and the capitán comes in, and what comes after that. (I carefully made it not a spoiler)
Since they are doing the Breda part, maybe they'll film another one of my favorite scenes from the books -- from the last book , when Íñigo is waiting to see the conde-duque, and he's looking at the new paintings of battles on the walls, and thinking, "I've _been_ in this painting, and if you weren't there, you _can't imagine_ how it was."

I just read the Club Dumas and was astonished at all the connections to the Alatriste books -- it seems don Arturo is one of those fun authors who leaves clues all over that refer from one book to another. The illustration of Milady de Winter with the knife could really be a picture of two other people from Our Story; and the cabalistic magic squares (I assume) are related to the one on the "dije" from Angélica's necklace. . .Gotta love that kinda of thing. (They call it Intertextuality in my line of work, but I mostly just call it fun.)

saludos desde texas usa
bradamante

doctor-Q

Mensaje por doctor-Q » Sab Abr 23, 2005 12:20 pm

-
Última edición por doctor-Q el Dom May 01, 2005 8:52 pm, editado 1 vez en total.

doctor-Q

Mensaje por doctor-Q » Jue Abr 28, 2005 10:51 am

-
Última edición por doctor-Q el Dom May 01, 2005 8:50 pm, editado 1 vez en total.

doctor-Q

Mensaje por doctor-Q » Vie Abr 29, 2005 3:58 pm

-
Última edición por doctor-Q el Dom May 01, 2005 8:49 pm, editado 1 vez en total.

Targul

Mensaje por Targul » Vie Abr 29, 2005 5:31 pm

Dear Doctor-Q

In the final phrases, the word "bandera" means "battle flag". The name of the unit of 250 men was "compañía" (company).

Thanks for your translations

Rogorn
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rogorn » Sab Abr 30, 2005 1:57 pm

Not to rain on your parade, Doc, but have you checked if you're breaking any copyright rules? Great job you're doing, but you don't want a lawsuit, I guess.

doctor-Q

Mensaje por doctor-Q » Dom May 01, 2005 8:48 pm

Well,... of course I do not want any lawsuit due to copyright issues.

In fact, I told the webmaster that if there were any problems or complaints about the translations I would gladly get rid of them.
Since it seems that this is the case. I will do it.

Rogorn
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rogorn » Dom May 01, 2005 10:38 pm

Sorry about that, mate

(this doesn't mean you can't correspond privately with people who are interested in reading more)

hint, hint :twisted:

Mirabella6666

Mensaje por Mirabella6666 » Mié Jun 01, 2005 3:35 am

Dr. Q
My Spanish is very weak, but I'm learning, so I have been reading the Spanish edition of Alatriste along side the English edition. I have been wondering though, of the translator's (or editor's ) decision not to translate the word "caballeros". Is that because the word had a slightly different translation in the 17th century than it does today? Can't it be translated as "gentlemen"?

Thanks for your time.

Responder