Books 1, 2 and 3 out in English now

All the important forum news in English (other languages are welcome)

Moderadores: Targul, Mithrand, Moderadores

Reglas del Foro
Rogorn
Contactar:

Books 1, 2 and 3 out in English now

Mensaje por Rogorn » Sab Jul 16, 2005 4:19 pm

This is a link to Amazon.co.uk where you can get the book if you need to order it, although I have seen it in big libraries already. Maybe even Spaniards wanting to practice their English might want to get it?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/sea ... 61-9388627

Well, that link doesn't seem to be working. Anyway, just go to Amazon (or any English online bookseller) and search for Alatriste

Cheers
Última edición por Rogorn el Sab Mar 10, 2007 9:41 pm, editado 2 veces en total.

lorquina1

Mensaje por lorquina1 » Sab Jul 16, 2005 4:29 pm

Thanks for the link! (gracias for el link :D )
Any idea when the rest will come outin English? ( Cuando saldran los demas en Ingles )
:lol:

Gracias de nuevo.....Thanks a bunch! :wink:

Rogorn
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rogorn » Sab Jul 16, 2005 4:55 pm

De nada, amigo americano.

I haven't heard of the publisher's plans, if there are any at all, but to be honest, I haven't searched for them either. I'm travelling at the moment and won't have much time to do research. If somebody with more time and desire would like to contact the publisher(s) or even the translator to get them to post here, that would be welcome indeed.

My guess, though, is that it will all depend on the success of this first book. The film will undoubtedly kindle some interest when it is released, but in the meantime just spread the word so that they are as successful as possible.

Ta.

quemeplace

Mensaje por quemeplace » Sab Jul 16, 2005 7:01 pm

Hi, Rogorn!

There are already more Alatriste novels translated/in translation, but I don't remember the release dates now. I think the second one was scheduled for this year.

Nefer

Mensaje por Nefer » Sab Jul 30, 2005 4:23 pm

Thanks for the info, Rogorn!
I ordered the first novel in advance and got it promptly. I devoured the book on the same day and liked it very much. :D

According to Amazon the release date for "Purity of Blood" will be January 5, 2006.
A long wait... :(

Saludos, Nefer

Rogorn
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rogorn » Sab Jul 30, 2005 6:53 pm

Danke schön for the good news. I hope other people who read the book in English can tell us their impressions (and their friends about it).

(By the way, everyone around the world, tell us if you hear of any news about translations into German or any other languages. Thanks)

IndianMoon16

Mensaje por IndianMoon16 » Jue Ago 04, 2005 6:23 pm

As far as I know, will the first Alatriste novel be published in Germany in April 2006.

The book will be translated into German by Ulrich Kunzmann.

It will be a soft cover edition, the price is given as € 12,00.

ISBN: 3-442-73354-5

Rogorn
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rogorn » Vie Ago 05, 2005 12:32 pm

Thanks for the info.

Do you know if there would be any interest at all in the Netherlands about the books, given that one is set there and another features a Dutch ship?

IndianMoon16

Mensaje por IndianMoon16 » Lun Ago 08, 2005 12:30 pm

As far as I know, there is only a small group of people in Holland who are interested in the books. (Mostly the Spanish people who live here and some of my friends, who became interested, because I am absolutelly enthousiastic about the first book I read and the things I read about the movie and what I saw in Spain. And some people who are interested in Viggo.) You can hardly buy them overhere. There has been absolutelly NO interest in the English version of the first book in the media either. I had to order it through Amazon. I got the Spanish version too, but it is still difficult for me to read it, because I only started recently to learn how to read/speak your language. So I think I missed a lot, while reading it, I will start the English version as soon as I got the time.... :roll: :D
I know that big libraries have got the Alatriste-books, but when I asked them if many people hire them, they said NO. There was absolutelly nothing to be found here about the "Rodaje" in any magazine or paper either. I hope they will show the movie here in Holland, but I got a bad feeling about it. I so much want to see it!

I was quite disappointed BTW, because I would have prefered it, that the parts which "play" in Holland (Breda) would have been filmed here. That would have been more realistic I think, but I guess that was too expensive. To take all those people up here. But they wouldn't have had to built the ship that they built in Tarifa. I saw that one and I think it would have been easy to get a ship in Holland, from about the time Alatriste is playing or a replica of it. But that didn't happen, a shame.... I think it would have done the movie good, not just because of filming in the area where it all happened, but also because more people would have gotten interested. Like the Dutch, Belgians and probably the Germans too....

Rogorn
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rogorn » Mar Ago 09, 2005 11:53 am

I visited the Netherlands recently and saw a ship of the time in one of the canals in Amsterdam. I don´t know enough about ships to be sure if that particular one would be of any use, but I suppose it´s very difficult to use an actual ship to film and that it´s better to rig your own set.

About seeing the film over there, I don´t see why not. This is going to be a quite big release with a big(gish) Hollywood name fronting it, so it shouldn´t have any more difficulties in being released than any important foreign film. Maybe it will be restricted to big cities only, though.

Well, good luck in (re)introducing Alatriste into your land 8)

IndianMoon16

Mensaje por IndianMoon16 » Mar Ago 09, 2005 8:59 pm

I so much hope you are right, but otherwise I will travel to see the movie. No problem. A friend of mine owns a cinema in the small town where I live and already told me he is sure that it won't be in his cinema. So I hope it might be in Rotterdam or Amsterdam.

And heehee, no problem, I will try to get as many ppl interested in the books as well as the movie. According to what I have seen till now, I think it will be a beautiful movie and I think ppl in Holland should see it, because of the Dutch/Spanish relationship we ever had/are having....
:D

Leona

Mensaje por Leona » Sab Ago 13, 2005 7:09 am

Hi everyone!

IndianMoon16 escribió: I think it would have done the movie good, not just because of filming in the area where it all happened, but also because more people would have gotten interested. Like the Dutch, Belgians and probably the Germans too....

Shhh... don't tell them and may be we can pretend it was filmed over there -media manipulation is common, I would even say it is fashionable...- :lol: (just kidding)
I am also interested in the English version of the books. I might start giving them as presents to my friends all around Europe. The first one would be, of course, my beloved Dutch friend, whom I already told about the books. He is from Antwerp (AMBERES)... ¡maldito hereje! Oops...

Well, I warmly welcome myself to this place :roll: , I just read about its existence in a magazine and came directly to see what was going on.

Rogorn
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rogorn » Sab Ago 13, 2005 11:52 am

Be warmly welcome by somebody else too, then. I´m glad word is actually spreading everywhere thanks to our friends abroad. Los tercios marchan de nuevo.

quemeplace

Mensaje por quemeplace » Dom Ene 08, 2006 1:50 pm

The second Alatriste novel, Purity of Blood, was released last week.

As Rogorn was asking about impressions and all, here you have a little review:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 80342/1030
Hay en su jaula esta inscripción:
"Cuidado: sueña"
-Nicolás Guillén-

Rogorn
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rogorn » Dom Ene 08, 2006 2:29 pm

"It has been made into a movie starring Viggo Mortensen, which might not make it to Detroit cineplexes: It's in Spanish."

Hala jodete.

Ever heard of subtitles?

elisheva

Mensaje por elisheva » Mar Ene 10, 2006 1:11 am

Rogorn escribió: Hala jodete.

¡Milagro! De repente entiendo inglés :lol: :lol: :lol:

IndianMoon16

Mensaje por IndianMoon16 » Mié Ene 11, 2006 5:39 pm

Haha, Rogorn, I was thinking exactly the same, about the subs when I read about that. But it seems that English and German and even French-speaking countries have problems with subs. They synchronise or do not show the movies.... I hope it will come to Holland. But if I will be sure it will not come here, I will have to try and find the money to travel to Spain, to see it on a big screen. Even if I would not understand every word they say, I think it will be a wonderful movie to watch.

As for the book in English, a friend in the UK bought it for me and I will receive it next month when I see her, can't wait to see/read if I did understand the Spanish version well or not, heehee.... Must be a relieve to read it in English for me. Your language is so difficult for Dutchies.... But I will keep trying, no problemas.... :roll: :wink: :D 8)

Rogorn
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rogorn » Mié Ene 11, 2006 6:20 pm

IndianMoon16 escribió: Haha, Rogorn, I was thinking exactly the same, about the subs when I read about that. But it seems that English and German and even French-speaking countries have problems with subs. They synchronise or do not show the movies.... I hope it will come to Holland. But if I will be sure it will not come here, I will have to try and find the money to travel to Spain, to see it on a big screen. Even if I would not understand every word they say, I think it will be a wonderful movie to watch.

As for the book in English, a friend in the UK bought it for me and I will receive it next month when I see her, can't wait to see/read if I did understand the Spanish version well or not, heehee.... Must be a relieve to read it in English for me. Your language is so difficult for Dutchies.... But I will keep trying, no problemas.... :roll: :wink: :D 8)

Well, I'm not sure if the producers are going to 'forbid' any dubbing of the soundtrack at all, even in countries where dubbing is done routinely, like Italy, for example. What I've heard is that it will be shown in North America subtitled. But I wonder why they said and underlined that, because that's what any other non-English-language film does. :?

I'm sure Alatriste will open in the Netherlands. You will know better than me how many other non-Hollywood films are usually available there, but this is not a small project, and Viggo's name should help selling it. If not, I'm sure that in England it will be shown, in Spanish with English subtitles, if that's more comfortable for you.

Spanish is difficult? :lol: Look who's talking, hehe. What was that tongue-twister you have about "888 houses in the Gentlemen's Canal"? :wink:

It's a credit to you that you've tried to read the books in Spanish, though. We'll name you a honorary Spaniard.

quemeplace

Mensaje por quemeplace » Mié Ene 11, 2006 7:10 pm

The subtitles are not the main problem, but just the fact of being a foreign film. In the USA, foreign films use to have a very limited release, dubbed or not.
Hay en su jaula esta inscripción:
"Cuidado: sueña"
-Nicolás Guillén-

IndianMoon16

Mensaje por IndianMoon16 » Mié Ene 11, 2006 7:23 pm

It's a credit to you that you've tried to read the books in Spanish, though. We'll name you a honorary Spaniard

Heehee, I am honored.... *bows*.... :D

Responder