All the Alatriste news in English: Book 6, July 2010

All the important forum news in English (other languages are welcome)

Moderadores: Targul, Mithrand, Moderadores

Reglas del Foro
Responder
Rogorn
Contactar:

All the Alatriste news in English: Book 6, July 2010

Mensaje por Rogorn » Vie Dic 23, 2005 7:27 pm

Hey, where have all the 'heretics' gone? Are you all in hiding already, in fear of the coming onslaught from our tercios? :lol:

Just joking, of course. 8) We have always appreciated your interest in this site, and I would just like to catch up with you guys and know if you're still keeping up with events. If not, give us a shout, and we'll bring you up to speed. I know it's difficult to hold on for so long after the flurry of news from the actual filming. That was almost a year ago, and by the time the film opens, in September, it will be a year and a half!

That's one of the big bits of news you need to know: the theatrical opening in Spain is in September (although some cinema festivals might get the film earlier). The other is that we already have a teaser trailer and a teaser poster. You can find both here:

http://www.fox.es/cinema/alatriste-11015/11015/

It's not a full-blown official website yet, but we hope to see more content in it soon.

In the meantime, we're spending our time discussing the bits and pieces we can get hold of, and in many other off-film conversations. In fact, you might want to add to our debates from your own point of view: what do they teach you about the Spain of the time in your schools, if anything at all? How were Spaniards viewed at the time: still all black figures with a bible in one hand and a torch in the other? I'd like to hear from Dutch and German people in particular, as I know we have some here.

Also, we're discussing other films dealing with the period. 'Luther', a biography of the religious reformer, has just opened here, but the film is two years old already, and I haven't seen it in England yet, in spite of the leading English cast. It's mainly a German production. Has anyone seen it anywhere? What did you think of it? And of the topic itself? 'The new world', about John Smith and Pocahontas with Colin Farrell is due soon, and 'The libertine' with Johnny Depp is also doing the rounds.

So, anyway, let us hear about how you're doing, and please report anything you learn about in your national media about our dear project - we'll be glad to know about it. And merry Christmas to all, too. :)
Última edición por Rogorn el Mié Feb 10, 2010 6:50 pm, editado 18 veces en total.

RivRes

Mensaje por RivRes » Lun Dic 26, 2005 5:17 pm

Thanks for the update Rogorn! This 'heretic' is still around. :wink:

Viggo (El Capitan) is keeping us busy at http://www.viggo-works.com with all of his activity in the States with his newest book just published and his promotional appearances for A History of Violence still taking place.

We have seen the Alatriste teaser/trailer and it look MARVELOUS! We also look forward to the release of the second Perez-Reverte Alatriste books in Englsih so that we can catch up to all of you who know this story and these novels so well.

More that anything, we appreciate all of the background and historical information that you (and especially Targul) have given us both here and at Viggo-Works. It has helped our understanding of this movie and Spanish history immensely. PLEASE give us more...if possible, in English. Whether you do it here at capitan-alatriste.com, or join us HERE or HERE at Viggo-Works, you will have a captive audience. :D

Please keep us posted on all the upcoming events in Spain that surround the production and premiere of Alatriste, and the new Fox website. We are always eager for more news. 2006 is going to be a VERY exciting year for Spanish (and worldwide) cinema when Alatriste hits the big screen.

Again...muchos, muchas gracias...for all that you have done to keep up with the Alatriste news.

Saludos

Riv Res
Viggo-Works

Rogorn
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rogorn » Lun Dic 26, 2005 8:35 pm

Thanks for your answer, R. I'm glad to see we might have a whole other forum hanging on the news we can glean from our neck of the woods.

About the historical information on the period of Alatriste's life (1582 - 1643), I'm keeping a thread with all the information I can gather here:

http://www.capitan-alatriste.com/module ... highlight=

It's all in Spanish, I'm afraid, and I just don't have the time to translate it all into English, but maybe some of the people at your forum would like to have a look at it if they can manage with some Spanish. If any of you have specific queries we might help as best we can, though.

Cheers again for answering, mate. Say a la paz de Dios to everybody.

Rogorn
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rogorn » Mar Dic 27, 2005 5:35 pm

To all the Alatristeros in the world, heretics or not:

The one and only Juanrahig, whom one day you'll see disembarking in a Spanish beach with Viggo, has opened one of those world maps where you can tell everyone else where you live. Come around and place your pin, so we can see how far our Empire stretches.

http://www.frappr.com/alatristeros/map

Cheers all

Rogorn
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rogorn » Lun Ene 02, 2006 7:47 pm

Hi again, guys.

This forum will be a year old at the end of the month, and we are organising a gift exchange, Secret-Santa-type, among the members. If you want to take part, you only have to send a private message to me (click on MP below) with your real name and your postal address. In a few days you will receive the name and address of the forum member you'll send a present to, and someone else will send you one in turn. Ask below if you have any doubts.

Again, we'd like to welcome you back to our forum if you have been lurking or just away.

Cheers.

RivRes

Mensaje por RivRes » Sab Ene 07, 2006 7:19 am

A question for those of you in Spain...

Viggo seems to be growing his Alatriste moustache back once again. Will they be doing pick up shots for the movie in Spain soon?

Rogorn
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rogorn » Sab Ene 07, 2006 12:27 pm

I'll ask around. Thanks for the heads-up.

There were rumours back in November, but nothing came of it. Makes sense that they do some at some point, though.

Have you got recent pictures with his moustache (or project of it) back on?

quemeplace

Mensaje por quemeplace » Sab Ene 07, 2006 12:32 pm

Hi RivRes!

There were some rumours, back in November, about a possible filming of pick ups in Sevilla, but it happened not to be true. It was just a confusion due to another not Alatriste-related filming preparations.

I've just seen the Viggo pics on your site :D . Maybe he just likes that look OR he has noticed that women like him much better without moustache, so he's using it as a personal defence weapon :wink: (though I think it doesn't work :lol: )

I don't think they are going to film anything else, but who knows? We'll tell you if we get some news about that, anyway.

P.D: Joer, Rogorn, te me has colao. Creo que me he entretenido un par de minutos viendo las nuevas fotos de Viggo en Viggo-Works mientras escribía el mensaje :oops:
Hay en su jaula esta inscripción:
"Cuidado: sueña"
-Nicolás Guillén-

RivRes

Mensaje por RivRes » Sab Ene 07, 2006 4:09 pm

Thanks for the update quemeplace. :D I read somewhere that Viggo did not like the moustache and I felt that the only way he might grow it again was to do more Alatriste filming...so...who knows. :wink:

Thanks again.

Photos from last evening's CUNY event on our Viggo-Works News Page.

quemeplace

Mensaje por quemeplace » Mar Ene 10, 2006 11:07 pm

Elfstone has contacted the producers to ask about any possible pick-ups and they said there is no additional filming planned.

So I guess Viggo's opinion on moustaches has changed or he has another filming project...

:?:
-Nicolás Guillén-

IndianMoon16

Mensaje por IndianMoon16 » Mié Ene 11, 2006 5:22 pm

Thank you all so much for the info on the Stache, heehee, Riv I was wondering about it too! Found a lovely pic from Alatriste at Viggo Works, thanx for posting it there Riv.... Now THAT is a stache.... Not the one he has got right now.... :roll: :wink:

Source: Ciné Live. Found by: Sachie

Imagen

Rogorn, I will leave for a holiday tomorrow, but when I am back I will take my sons' historybooks and tell you about what we are told here at school, about the time that Alatriste is playing.... I got a feeling that WE (Dutchies) do not get a very good review from the Spanish in the books/movie, :roll: :wink: :D :? as far as I have understood the books till now, I am still trying to struggle through them, heehee....

quemeplace

Mensaje por quemeplace » Mié Ene 11, 2006 5:39 pm

8O OMG! What a pic! Thanks for posting!

And have a nice holiday!
-Nicolás Guillén-

Rogorn
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rogorn » Mié Ene 11, 2006 5:58 pm

IndianMoon16 escribió: Rogorn, I will leave for a holiday tomorrow, but when I am back I will take my sons' historybooks and tell you about what we are told here at school, about the time that Alatriste is playing.... I got a feeling that WE (Dutchies) do not get a very good review from the Spanish in the books/movie, :roll: :wink: :D :? as far as I have understood the books till now, I am still trying to struggle through them, heehee.... [/color]

Thanks, IM, I'd appreciate that, as I'm afraid we're only seeing one side of the coin from here.

I think you have understood correctly. Dutch people in the books are seen as what they were for Spaniards of the time: the Enemy with a capital E, in religion, politics and business. It was true the other way round too.

The books are written from the perspective of one of the protagonists, in the first person, some years after the events happened, so the style retains all the political incorrectness and deep hatred of the era. I'm sure that there must be similar novels written in Dutch on the same note. But of course, that is not meant to condone what happened, just to see it through the eyes of someone who could have been there. Any of us 'reasonable' people of the 21st century, if we had been born in those times would be doing exactly what they did.

But Arturo himself says it all best dedicating one of his books to Jan Schalekamp, his Dutch 'translator, friend and bloody heretic'. :wink:

IndianMoon16

Mensaje por IndianMoon16 » Mié Ene 11, 2006 7:28 pm

Thanx quemeplace, I am sure iI will have fun. And I loved the pic too. So apasionado.... :D

But Arturo himself says it all best dedicating one of his books to Jan Schalekamp, his Dutch 'translator, friend and bloody heretic'.

Than why didn't he translate "El capitán Alatriste" into Dutch? :roll: 8O

Rogorn
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rogorn » Mié Ene 11, 2006 7:33 pm

IndianMoon16 escribió:
But Arturo himself says it all best dedicating one of his books to Jan Schalekamp, his Dutch 'translator, friend and bloody heretic'.

Than why didn't he translate "El capitán Alatriste" into Dutch? :roll: 8O

Touché :(

Maybe he translates stuff from Dutch into Spanish for Arturo to write his books.

Srinden...

IndianMoon16

Mensaje por IndianMoon16 » Jue Ene 19, 2006 8:02 pm

I will forgive him, heehee.... :wink:

Imagen

Rogorn
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rogorn » Sab Ene 21, 2006 11:01 pm

This is a videogame in which the protagonist is Sancho Panza, the famous shieldbearer and sidekick for Don Quixote, the 17th-century spoof on chivalry novels and one of the most important heroes in literature.

It's a light-hearted conversational / puzzle-solving adventure of the 'Monkey Island' series (in fact, the interface is exactly like it), and it has been put together online completely for free by a group of Spanish enthusiasts. The English translation is a bit shaky, but it can be understood well enough to play.

To register you need a valid e-mail address (you don't need to even go back to it to pick up a message to confirm the registration) and any password you choose.

http://www.sanchoisland.com/

They also have a forum like this, but if you don't want to sign up for yet another thing, let me know what you think and I'll pass your comments to them.

Cheers.

RivRes

Mensaje por RivRes » Lun Ene 23, 2006 11:31 pm

A Question for Our Friends in Spain

It was announced that The Da Vinci Code will open the Cannes Film Festival this year in May. Does anyone know if Yanes will show his Alatriste there as well?

Rogorn
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rogorn » Lun Ene 23, 2006 11:54 pm

Not that we know. When we do you'll be the second forum to know :wink:

Although, having said that, that would be three and a half months before the mooted September release. That'd be cruel :evil:

RivRes

Mensaje por RivRes » Mar Ene 24, 2006 1:33 am

Viggo's A History of Violence premiered at Cannes last May and was not released until September. That's what prompted me to ask. :D

Responder