All the Alatriste news in English: Book 6, July 2010

All the important forum news in English (other languages are welcome)

Moderadores: Targul, Mithrand, Moderadores

Reglas del Foro
Responder
Rogorn
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rogorn » Dom Ago 20, 2006 7:26 pm

And I'm deeply grateful to all of you from all over the world who are showing an interest in Alatriste. We thought this was a very local thing that would only appeal to us. We knew the books have been translated into many languages but... well, they also translate stuff in Danish, Portuguese, German, etc, into Spanish and it doesn't mean they're going to be read, hehe.
Viggo might have also done his bit (and more than that), but as I say, cheers all for your time.
Anyone who's coming to Madrid and León, please add your names to this list (copy text, add, paste) if you want to meet with us and we'll take care of those of you who don't speak Spanish. We are arranging trips from Madrid to León, hot on Viggo's heels, on the morning of Sep 1, where the second premiere will take place. We have confirmed presence of people from Italy and Germany already, and it would be awesome to have more of you.
http://www.capitan-alatriste.com/module ... 3584#33584

Those looking for accomodation in Leon, there are several people booked already at Don Suero hotel at 21 euros an individual room, 40 a double. Phone 987 230600. fax 987 24649. Those who want to stay in Leon the weekend I'll be happy to show you around . There's lots to see.

We're also printing our own t-shirts, with a design made by our very own Dhwilinel. Send her a PM with the name you want on your back and she'll e-mail you the design, which then you can print and take to a shop to print on a red shirt. We're calling ourselves the Crimson Tide.
Write to her in Spanish:
"Hola, Dhwilinel. Quería el diseño de la camiseta del foro con la palabra <NAME> en la espalda. Gracias."

Cheers all.

SisterMoon

Mensaje por SisterMoon » Lun Ago 21, 2006 8:55 am

Hi all,
I have a question: Is this magazine XL Semana (with Viggo and Reverte)
a newspaper you'll get this whole week or was it just a supplement to the Sunday Heraldo?
Friends from me in Madrid couldn't find this mag in the shops :cry: Is it a regional newspaper??

Thanks for your help.

Anna

Mensaje por Anna » Lun Ago 21, 2006 10:50 am

Dear all - I am new to this forum (although I have been lurking for some time) and I want to thank CA for all information and all the efforts that you make. I will too be travelling to Madrid from Denmark next week but I am a bit confused about the dates and venues of events. I understand that there will be a premiere in Leon on 1st. which Viggo will attend. Is there any firm date for a Madrid premiere yet? Thank you! /Anna Denmark

Rogorn
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rogorn » Lun Ago 21, 2006 2:46 pm

SM: XL Semanal magazine is available only on Sundays with one national newspaper, ABC, and several regional ones.

As interest continues to grow about the Spanish release of ‘Alatriste’, here’s what us at the forum are planning to do, in case anyone wants to join us.

Aug 28 – Aug 31: Madrid. Months ago we were told from several sources that the red carpet premiere would take place on Aug 29. That’s no longer for sure, even at this late stage, but the premiere will happen on one of these days. We still don’t know the venue either, but it would be advisable to find accommodation in the city centre. From Aug 28 forum members will start gathering in Madrid and on the 29 there will be a big ‘quedada’ (meeting), be it with a premiere in the middle of it or not. The rest of the time in Madrid will be devoted to visits of all sorts. Some people feel more inclined to museums such as El Prado, where many pictures that inspired the film are on display, others to theme parks with rollercoasters, others to see the streets of Old Madrid… It all depends on the time, money and inclinations of everyone. However, there’s no shortage of things to do.
It’s for sure that the film will be shown in Madrid once at least on Aug 31, because the publishers of the books have announced that they’re giving away two tickets for it. This might be the star-studded premiere or not, but this alone makes it a reason to stay in Madrid until then.

Sep 1 – 3. On Friday Sep 1 the film will be shown at the Teatro Emperador in León, northwestern Spain, featuring the attendance of at least Viggo Mortensen and film director Agustín Díaz Yanes. This will happen at 10 PM, so there’s plenty of time to travel from Madrid to León in the morning (340 kilometres) by bus, train or car, get there for lunch and maybe be able to watch the film at around 5 PM in another cinema (we’re waiting to confirm if this will be possible). Then we’d go to the Emperador in the city centre for the big show. We still don’t know whether this will be an open or invitation-only show – we’ll keep you posted.
After that, it’s up to each what you do. León is very worth it to spend the rest of the weekend, and I have guided tours of visitors several times, so I’ll be available to help out. Several people are already booked at Hostal Don Suero, but any others are good and near enough everywhere to stay (except Hotel Cortes de León, which is in the outskirts).

All in all, it makes for almost a week of high interest for Alatriste and Viggo fans at least. Anyone who wants to join us for any or all of this will be welcome.

More details in my previous message above. Thanks :wink:

Rogorn
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rogorn » Lun Ago 21, 2006 10:39 pm

STOP PRESS

As these things would have it, no sooner had I written the above when confirmation came of the premiere date and place: Thursday 31 August at the Palacio de la Música in Gran Via, central Madrid, still followed by a second premiere in León the following day. This should be a cast-iron certainty now, so you can make or modify your plans accordingly. Sorry if the incomplete news until now made you make bookings or decisions that you want to change now, but that happened to us too. We called’em as we saw’em.
This means that the main action will concentrate on the 31st and the 1st, but from the 28th to the 5th there will be Alatriste stuff to do. Check with the ‘La quedada definitiva’ thread linked to above and ask any questions here.
Cheers

RivRes

Mensaje por RivRes » Mar Ago 22, 2006 4:59 am

Many thanks Rogorn!!

We will be on High Alert starting on August 28, and let's hope we have the stamina to make it to September 5th. :wink: :lol:

SisterMoon

Mensaje por SisterMoon » Mar Ago 22, 2006 10:34 am

Maybe I'm too stupid to understand. :? Does all the new infos now mean, that there is 'only' a premiere with the actors etc in León 1st Sep. and in Madrid there is only a pre-sreening of the movie without a gala-premiere and actors on the Aug 31st?

Rogorn
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rogorn » Mar Ago 22, 2006 2:11 pm

The big event will be the gala-premiere-everyone-will-be-there-Viggo-too-you-won't-be-able-to-walk-the-street in Madrid on Aug 31. The day after, same thing, maybe with less people from the movie, although Viggo is guaranteed to be present, in León.
Nothing will be done on the 29th. 29th is off. Other than our fan meeting, that is. That's still happening.

SisterMoon

Mensaje por SisterMoon » Mar Ago 22, 2006 2:21 pm

Gracias Rogorn :D

SOUNDS GREAT. EVERYTHING :D

Now I got it too :? Sorry for asking again and again...

And I can't wait to get to Madrid / León. How can this week better be filled.. fan-meetings, sigt-seeing with the same maniacs, gala-premieres, Viggo, Alatriste 'The movie' in the cinema... finally :lol:

Thank you all here for everything.

Mirabella6666

Mensaje por Mirabella6666 » Mar Ago 22, 2006 11:24 pm

I found the Alatriste soundtrack for sale at FNAC.es for 13,50 euros, but the shipping to the USA would have been more than 32 euros, which made the price ridiculous. Can anyone tell me why the shipping would be SO expensive? We are just talking about 1 CD. I can't imagine why it would cost about $40 US to ship 1 CD.

I guess I will just have to wait until it's available on amazon in the us. :(

Anna

Mensaje por Anna » Mié Ago 23, 2006 7:06 am

Rogorn tusind tak - gracias!! Now I can finally plan my stay at Madrid and how to manage attending all events and exploring the wonderful city at the same time. It is going to a busy vacation :wink:

Lisa

Mensaje por Lisa » Jue Ago 24, 2006 5:23 pm

Rogorn, I have got the design for the t-shirt, but can I find a picture what it must look like when printed?
Thank you!

Lisa

Mensaje por Lisa » Vie Ago 25, 2006 12:08 pm

OK, I already made my t-shirt this morning. Very expensive!!!

It LOOKS GOOD!!

Congratulations to the artist who made the design!!

Rogorn
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rogorn » Vie Ago 25, 2006 6:40 pm

To while away the wait, you're welcome to join our Mapa de Alatristeros to tell us where you're from:
http://www.frappr.com/alatristeros/map

Then, those of you going to Madrid, beware of the Underground. Several lines are under repair, and it being the end of August / beginning of September opening and closing times and conditions can change from day to day. This includes the line that links Barajas airport to Madrid city centre. Make sure you pick up an up-to-date pocket map from the ticket office of the first station you enter.

Rogorn
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rogorn » Vie Ago 25, 2006 10:29 pm

After having seen the film already, this is the first English language review ever, by yours truly. Feel free to copy and paste anywhere.

‘Alatriste’ is a film based in a series of novels by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (five until release time, with a sixth planned for four months after it) which is hugely popular in Spain. Before the film came, the book saga had achieved some fame of its own among lovers of historical fiction, in particular cloak-and-dagger 17th century intrigue, having been translated into several languages - the first two books were available in English when the film was released. But undoubtedly it was the news that Viggo Mortensen was to be playing the title character what put the project onto the international radar.

In fact, had it not been for Mortensen’s acceptance of the role, the film would not have been made at all. Director Agustín Díaz Yanes, who also adapted the script condensing the five novels into 134 minutes of action, said from the beginning that the film would be made only if a major movie star fronted it, and the search soon took him beyond the Spanish frontiers. To his credit, Mortensen accepted to follow up his stardom-achieving role in ‘The Lord of the Rings’ trilogy (the clinching conversation for ‘Alatriste’ took place during the Berlin premiere of ‘The return of the king’ in December 2003) with a daring move that raised many eyebrows: starring in a non-English language film, and speaking his whole part in Spanish with his own voice, whose accent he had to change from the South American he knew since childhood to the Old Castillian his role demanded.

The eyebrows raised were not only American, but Spanish as well. Some noises were heard, as one would expect, taking offence at a foreigner ‘usurping’ a role as quintessentially Spanish as they come: that of a 17th-century soldier of the most potent military force Europe had ever known, the tercios, sword of the Catholic forces at the service of the House of Habsburg, which reigned in the Holy Roman Empire and a Spain whose empire also comprised Portugal, the Low Countries, many lands in Italy, most of America, and scattered possessions in Africa and Asia. But soon Mortensen won everyone over with his hard work, from doubting fans to Pérez-Reverte himself. He is absolutely idolised in Spain right now.

The film follows 40-something Diego de Alatriste y Tenorio through 20 years of his life, from the wars in Flanders in 1623 to those against France in 1643, when Spain, under king Philip IV, accelerated its decline from its position as the world’s dominating superpower. The film is bookended by two spectacular feats of arms taken from each of these conflicts, but in the middle we get to know the man under the wide-brimmed hat and long cloak. When not in the thick of the action, he has to make a living hiring his skills, and those involve killing for a few gold coins back in the dark corners of Madrid or Seville: not for people of his type the kind of glamourised glory depicted in victory-celebrating murals. Mortensen’s portrayal - raspy voice, cold-eyed gaze and menacing professional manner - is every bit what the role demands, and his performance is one of the triumphs of the film.

However, he is not all there is, even if the hype has made it seem that Mortensen was all that mattered in the film. He is surrounded by a crew he has celebrated as being as fine as any he’s worked with anywhere, and a cast of the best ‘hidden’ talent Spain has to offer (no Antonio Banderas or Javier Bardem here). Accompanying the ‘tired hero’, as he is described in the books, we have Unax Ugalde as Íñigo de Balboa, the young buck Alatriste raises in lieu of his dead father; Elena Anaya as Angélica de Alquézar, the scheming ladyservant of the queen; and Ariadna Gil as ‘la gran actriz’ María de Castro, Alatriste’s luscious love interest. They form the heart of the film from the perspective of personal relationships. In none of their hearts love for each other is the only ingredient by any means, and negotiating their twists and turns can be as dangerous as avoiding sharp and pointy steel objects in the street. In fact, they don’t stay sheathed indoors all the time either…

The rest of the painting is full of extraordinary nuances and details. And painting is the right word, because none other than one of the greatest masters of the trade ever, Diego Velázquez, has been the visual inspiration for the film, with his grave palette of black and brown colours, a world away from the splendour and shine of previous and later historical films. Spain was wealthy on the outside but poor and rotten on the inside, and his paintings show this, as does the film. The novels mix the imaginary characters hitherto mentioned with real-life figures, and two of the supporting ones are brought to life directly from his canvases. These are Javier Cámara as the Count-Duke of Olivares, the mover and shaker behind the throne, and Juan Echanove as the writer and poet Francisco de Quevedo. The first one is, as can be expected, important to move the political plot forward, and the second might seem peripheral and time-consuming, but his picture and verses are in every school textbook in Spain, so for Spanish people these two play the important role of making Velázquez’s paintings move and speak, bringing closer to home the other characters. It’s been Pérez-Reverte’s aim from the beginning of the saga to use Alatriste’s stories to re-educate Spanish people in their own history, too neglected in recent years (see trivia section on this site) and this is a way of seeing what could have happened 400 years ago in the streets one can still walk today. Not for nothing the premiere was planned, old fashion style, in La Gran Vía, in the heart of El Madrid de los Austrias.

Among the rest of the cast we have more still: the good looking bon vivant (Eduardo Noriega playing Count Guadalmedina), the shadowy Inquisitor (Blanca Portillo, a startling choice as father Emilio Bocanegra), and the black-clad villain with the foreign accent (Enrico Lo Verso as Gualterio Malatesta), but among them shine the two other veteran soldiers, Eduard Fernández as Sebastián Copons and Antonio Dechent as Curro Garrote, who share muddy Dutch trenches, scarcity of monies and searing French sun with Alatriste.

This is the first English review of the film ever written (as far as I know), fully one week ahead of the official Spanish release, so it is mostly introductory and I am not going into more details on purpose. Outside Spain, the film will be seen mostly in festivals, with foreign releases happening gradually towards Christmas 2006. Just to say that those who have read the books will find, as it usually happens, many changes among a genuine attempt to be faithful to the spirit of the original material, and that one thing you should avoid doing is seeing it under the shadow of ‘The Lord of the Rings’, because of Viggo, or under the shine of glossy Hollywood historical recreations full of dizzying light and colour. The scale is much smaller, the atmosphere darker and grittier, and sword master Bob Anderson, who crossed blades with the likes of Errol Flynn (not to mention humming lightsabres and Elvish-lettered weapons), has never been happier teaching people ‘a matar, y mucho’.

RivRes

Mensaje por RivRes » Sab Ago 26, 2006 12:27 am

Thanks for the review Rogorn!! So tell us what we REALLY want to know...did you like it and why? :twisted:

IndianMoon16

Mensaje por IndianMoon16 » Sab Ago 26, 2006 12:44 am

{{{{HUGS}}}}

Estel

Mensaje por Estel » Sab Ago 26, 2006 12:56 am

RivRes escribió:Thanks for the review Rogorn!! So tell us what we REALLY want to know...did you like it and why? :twisted:

I don't want to know, I don't want to know, hands over my ears, but I doubt it will help against text, besides it's difficult to type. :lol:
I want to see for myself and make up my own mind.
Please, Rogorn, if you post a more detailed review, mark it properly with a spoiler warning.
Must say I'm glad it's so difficult to read posts in the Spanish forums :wink: , because it has made it possible for me to stay away from the spoiler thread. :lol:
I love spoilers normally :lol: , but not right now, when I actually have an opportunity to see the movie soon.

airearan

Mensaje por airearan » Sab Ago 26, 2006 2:17 am

Rogorn, thank you so much for the review. I am very excited for all of you who are going to see the film. And I am very sad because it seems like we won't be getting the movie here in the Philippines. Unless someone has heard of a Manila release? *sigh*

Lisa

Mensaje por Lisa » Sab Ago 26, 2006 7:23 am

Thank you for the review, Rogorn, but .... I also do not want to read it before watching the movie! But will read it after.

Now an IMPORTANT QUESTION: As you leave for Madrid on Monday August 28th (or are you living there?) and we leave Geneva on Wednesday 30th, how are we going to arrange to meet?

We will be at hotel Conde Luna. I don't know exactly when we will be there, I hope not too late. I guess that we will have to drive about 500 km on Friday September 1st.

We can PM to arrange things! Thank you very much!

Responder